The oven is one of the dirtiest items in every home. That is because people don’t clean it very often, which is quite wrong to be honest. When baked-on food and dirt build up in your appliance, it becomes harder for cleaning and starts smelling bad. The bad odour of burnt food very often transfers to the meals you cook in your oven, and makes your whole house smell bad. It might even start attracting pests. That is why you must clean and maintain your appliance spotless all the time.
Here are a few tips from a professional kitchen cleaning London specialist on how to clean your oven:
- The most important thing is to clean your appliance every time your finish cooking in it. This way you won’t let dirt, and baked-on food and grease build up. Even if you haven’t spilled the meal in the oven, you must wipe it with a damp sponge. The steam from the dish leaves greasy marks inside which attract dirt when they cool down.
- Don’t ever clean your oven with commercial cleaners, they are extremely toxic and dangerous, and might cause you serious health problems. The chemicals they contain pollute the air and harden the breathing. Moreover, if you are not wearing gloves when working with such detergents, they might irritate your skin, and cause you rashes and allergies. Not to mention what the result will be if some of such a detergent drops in your food.
Most professional cleaners recommend that you clean your baking appliance with natural products and home-made cleaning solutions. There are some great ideas, which work just as good as most commercial oven cleaners. For example:
- Soak a cloth with white vinegar or fresh lemon juice and dip it in some baking soda. Rub your oven with the cloth until you remove all cooked on food stains. If you want you can sprinkle the soda in the appliance, instead of dipping in it all the time. If you have too stubborn stains, add some salt to the bicarb.
- Another interesting oven cleaning method – use the same products as above to prepare a paste, but add some borax, too. The exact proportion is half cup bread soda, half cup borax, half cup salt, and one cup white vinegar/lemon juice. Stir until you prepare a thick paste. Heat up your oven and spread the mixture in it. Let it stay until it dries well inside, and scrape with a spatula, afterwards. Wipe with a damp cloth in the end.
- If you wonder what to clean the glass of your oven with, there is a solution for this issue, too. Mix equal parts rubbing alcohol and white vinegar, and you have the perfect cleaner. You can poor it in a spray bottle, so to apply it more easily. Spray the glass with it, and let it stay for five minutes. Rub with the abrasive side of a sponge, and wipe with a clean damp cloth. It will become as shiny as new.
This is it. If you need more oven or kitchen cleaning tips, check out this article.