Mould is a common problem in areas with high humidity. It mainly appears in bathrooms and toilets, but if your house is not well isolated, it might appear on the walls and corners in other rooms, too. Things might get very serious if you don’t take the needed measures on time, because mould is one of the biggest irritants for asthma, rhinitis and allergy sufferers. The thing is, though, that most people don’t know how to remove mould from walls.
Mould is a really stubborn organism. It can be removed, but if you don’t use the proper detergent or solution, or if you rub when cleaning it, it will pop up again on the same place after a while. That is why you have to work very carefully and smart. Here are a few tips on how to remove mould from walls, offered by a kitchen cleaning London expert:
- The easiest way to get rid of mould spores is with bleach. This is also the most dangerous way, as bleach is toxic and might cause you hard breathing, skin irritations and allergies. It does a wonderful job for killing fungi, though. Just fill up a squirt bottle with it and spray the affected area, and the spores will disappear in a few minutes. There is something else about the result from this method which I don’t like. Although bleach removes mould immediately, it sometimes makes the walls more yellowish than usual, and this can’t be fixed unless you repaint the walls. Some other commercial mould removers, which are also based on chlorine also provide the same result.
- Whatever you do, however you choose to manage the fungus problem, don’t ever rub or scrub the affected areas. Not only that you will spread the spores around your house this way, but you will inhale them, and they might cause you hard breathing. You must know that black mould is extremely toxic and might even cause you death. You mustn’t also use water-based solutions for removing mould, because moisture helps fungi become stronger.
- The best natural mould remover is made of one cup white vinegar, one tablespoon salt, and one tablespoon eucalyptus essential oil. Heat up the vinegar, pour it in a squirt bottle and add the other ingredients. Close the bottle and shake well until the salt dissolves in the liquid. Spray the affected areas and let the solution kill the spores on its own, you don’t have to rub. If there still is mould on the wall after ten minutes spray again. If you want you can add a little lemon juice to the mixture, too, so that you strengthen its acidic properties even more.
This is it. Use any of the above methods and don’t let mould invade your house. The sooner you treat it, the easier you will remove it.